Monday, February 19, 2007




Is the question that I couldn't get out of my head early one morning last year somewhere in Sunny Beach.


Having been out the night before, and over-indulged I was idly looking out towards the sea.

I don't know if it was the air conditioning unit or just the voices in my head, but I couldn't get Agadoo out of my head.


I propably haven't listened to Agadoo since the last primary school party I went to, where I would inevitabally ended up dancing with the girl who stunk of Spaghetti Bolognese.


In fact, if the truth be told, my last primary school disco saw me play DJ for the first (and not the last) time, although my wheels of steel where then limited to a very basic Midi Hi-Fi (if that word itself isn't a blast from the 80s, I don't know what is), and my stack of vinyl was limited to some 60s, 70s and 80s seven inchers, as well as the then newly released Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi by Kylie Minogue - who at that point was considered to be completely naff, and had yet to transform herself into the Disco Diva that she became.


Stock Aitken & Waterman at some point give way to Simon Cowell and Nigel Lythgoe.


Black Lace, however, never pretended to be tender than thou and made honest-to-god party music that was still being played in discos in the aresehole of England as late as 1989.


I was reminded of their greatness other night when I drank a bottle of wine and watched Rita Sue and Bob Too, a film which really shines after more than twenty years.


If hearing "We're Having A Gang Bang, We're Having A Ball" doesn't bring a smile to the lips, then it's a poor do indeed.


I would have thought then that they would now be retired living in palatial mansions in Sussex, lving off the royalties of their music.


How wrong was I.


It transpires that "Cottom Eye Joe" by Rednex was actually the last thing Black Lace released - one of the duo was knocked down by a London bus not long afterwards, and the sole surviving member appears to be living on benefits on a run down council estate in South London.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ronli said...

Great work.

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Personality Is Like Cocaine
You're dynamic, brilliant, and alluring to those who don't know you. Hyper and full of energy, you're usually the last one to leave a party. Sometimes your sharp mind gets the better of you... you're a bit paranoid!
What Drug Is Your Personality Like?